Sunday 6 April 2014

But I love all my many-sided friends!

As I formalize more and more of this game, I realize I could likely write it to only need a handful of dice. A d20 for each player, and a d6, d8 and d12 for the table, to be specific.

This puts me at an impasse - do I keep going this way? I mean, streamlining is great and it keeps game buy in really low. On the other hand, I've got a not-so-secret admiration of every weird sided die possible. The current "d6's only" tend makes perfect sense, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Maybe the spot I'm at is a good compromise? Having a couple of different polyhedral on hand for the odd tables that come up while keeping most rolls relegated to a single die might actually be the optimum.

9 comments:

  1. In this day and age, many-sided dice get more and more common. Involve them without qualms. There are only two variants that remain a bit outlandish: The d4, and the fabled d30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done the same thing like made house rules and then realized with horror the players don't get to roll all the funny sided dice all the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I just need to shoe-horn in tables for d24's and call it a day.

      Delete
  3. If you're going to use a kind of die, use it. Don't be ashamed of it. If I'm playing Pathfinder, for example, I need to have a d12 around to roll my Barbarian's hit points... but then I never get to use it for anything else! What a shame!

    That said, I'm a big fan of just using one kind of die; my homebrew uses ONLY the d12.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both have their ups and downs. I think keeping the odd types for specific types helps distinguish certain sorts of rolls in a tactile way, at least.

      Delete
  4. Roll all the dice: d3, d4, d5, d6, d7, d8, d10, d12, d14, d16, d20, d24, and d30 (d100 is just two d10s)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinda like the idea of branding / customising D6s, like Fate.

    Players can buy official icontastic dice (for specialness) or use d6 and convert digits (for ease).

    Also branded/icon dice = money spinner :-)

    ReplyDelete